Top Wood Chippers / Shredders Reviewed
Trees branches can be heavy and bulky, and cleaning up one that falls on your property can be a hassle. The trunk and larger branches can be cut for firewood, but what do you do with all the small branches?
That is where a chipper/shredder really shines. Instead of just hauling away all those branches, or trying to burn them (and ending up with a pile of ash), you can easily transform them into mulch you can use in your garden and landscaping.
In fact, if you have a number of trees on your property you can save on money spent at the gardening center by turning downed branches into homemade mulch. All you need is the right wood chipper/shredder for the job and you are in business.
Types Of Chipper Shredders
Most of the small wood chippers for consumer use are going to use an electric motor. The size of the engine is going to have an impact on the level of power that the tool has, as well as how well it will perform. Larger chippers are mostly powered by gas, but there are differences between the two.
Electric Wood Chippers
- Cleaner than a gas powered motor
- Different maintenance levels compared to a gas powered option
- More affordable to purchase
- Not as powerful as the gas option, but that’s because it’s designed for smaller chipping jobs.
- Limited mobility due to the need to be plugged into an outlet.
Gas Wood Chippers
- Way more power than the electric models.
- Can handle much larger wood and tree loads.
- Not tied to a power source so are far more mobile as an option.
With all of that in mind, here are five of the top chipper shredder reviews, so that you can make a more informed decision about your purchase.
It’s designed with safety and efficiency in mind, which is why the 11” wheels will never go flat and are always ready for use. There’s an easy to use debris bag which has a bottom-out zipper for access to the materials. If you’re conscious on budget and you’re only looking to use your shredder a few times a year, this is a great choice.
- Viper engine with a 5-year Warranty
- Optional vacuum kit featuring a unique air gate and largest-in-class rotor, Tazz produces 20% more vacuum than similar chipper shredders
- At a convenient 25.4" wide by 29.9" long, it takes up minimal room in your garage or shed
- Always-ready, 11" wheels will never go flat
- Rugged easy-to-use debris bag featuring the bottom-out zipper and a quick dock-and-lock bag connector
This model has been built with comfort in mind, so the quiet, smooth maintenance free electronic motor has a flip switch start with no huge revs of a pull cord. If you get the electric cord, you can extend the warranty on your chipper by a year. This product has it all, coming with a 2 year warranty, a collection bag and a pair of safety goggles.
- Purchase Patriot's Electric Cord now and EXTEND YOUR CHIPPER’S WARRANTY ONE YEAR.
- The quiet, smooth, maintenance free electric motor starts with just the flip of a switch.
- Easily shred mountains of leaves by sliding them into the large hopper on the top of the unit.
- The Patriot will make coin-sized chips out of branches up to 2 1/2 inches in diameter.
- All processed material will discharge out the side of the machine into the standard collection bag.
The engine power and displacement 7 HP 212cc means you get ultimate power, and it’s a wood chipper that comes with a powerful recoil starting gas powered engine. It’s pertinent for you to be careful of yourself with gas being used, so be aware of the sheer amount of gasoline that this fuel wood chipper uses. This has 87+ unleaded gasoline, with a max capacity of 0.7 gallons. Don’t panic though, because safety comes first and this wood chipper has EPA3 and is CARB Certified to ensure your safety. Not happy? There is a 3 year limited warranty included in the product.
- MULTI-FUNCTION: The 3-in-1 unit wood chipper design comes with a top hopper for 1/2" max volume chipping/shredding; Side chute for 3" max small branch/limbs and access to the back vacuum inlet for leaf loading for easy shredding w/ the purchase of a Vacuum Kit (SOLD SEPARATELY)
- POWERFUL: The wood chipper comes with a powerful recoil starting 7HP/ 212cc gas powered engine. Fuel wood chipper with 87+ unleaded gasoline (NO ETHANOL recommended) with a maximum capacity of 0.7 gallons. It can handle up to 3" diameter wood without a problem.
- SAFETY:The engine is EPA3 and CARB Certified to ensure operator's safety. (ENGINE OIL NOT INCLUDED)
- This wood chipper comes with a three-year limited . We have a dedicated customer support team stand behind our chipper, so you can trim your trees with ease knowing that we are always here for you.
- COMMITMENT- GreatCircleUSA is an authorized seller who is committed to providing customers with a stressful-free shopping experience. Buy with confidence, we are ALWAYS here to help.
There’s a safety overload protection switch for ultimate safety and it’s small size means that you get a compact tool without taking up much space. This product comes with extra cutting blades included for free and with no gas engine, it’s easy to maintain and operate.
- Powerful 14-Amp Motor
- Free extra cutting blades included
- Triple action cutting/mulching system
- Easy to operate: No gas engine to start or maintain
It’s easy to assemble and doesn’t need much in the way of maintenance, and it’s ready to go whenever you are. Plug it in and off you go! It’s got a safety stop that engages as soon as the hopper is opened, and it’s fully backed by a two year warranty.
- Ideal for turning branches and twigs into nutrient-rich garden mulch
- Powerful 15 amp motor effectively chips and shreds branches up to 1.5-Inches thick
- Compact design with 6-inch wheels for easy portability
- Safety hopper with locking knob prevents the motor from operating when opened
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty
The Benefits Of Using A Wood Chipper
There are plenty of different benefits for having a chipper shredder in your garden shed, and we’ve got some of the best ones for you below:
- Clean Up Is Quicker – A wood chipper can turn even the largest of trees into tiny little pieces, and it can make clearing up a large wooded area much faster. All you have to do is gather the chunks after you’ve put the wood through the chipper.
- No Burning Needed – Most people burn unwanted wood, an with a chipper shredder, you can avoid this altogether. You can burn the chips, or you could make use of them. They can lower the costs of fertilizers for your plants and even fuel for the car. You can save the environment by avoiding burning.
- Useful Materials – Whether you’re looking to create mulch or compost, your chippings don’t have to be trashed. You can also turn the chippings into pressed wood – people buy wood chippings to press them down and make them into other things, which is always worth looking into.
- Bio Fuel – This is likely the most interesting thing that you can do with wood chippings, as you can use them to run your car or other vehicles. It’s an environmentally friendly way to run your vehicle, so it’s worth considering.
Making Your Own Mulch
If you’ve never used a chipper/shredder before, here is a good YouTube video demonstrating how you can use one to save money on mulch for your garden: