Dealing with brush and fallen branches around your property can be a hassle. If a tree falls that is large enough the bigger branches and trunk can be turned into firewood, but that still leaves you with the small branches.
The answer to that problem is a chipper/shredder. Rather than hauling them away or burning them into messy ash that also needs disposal, a chipper can reduce those unwanted branches into useful landscaping and gardening mulch.
That allows you to be both environmentally conscious, and can also save you money in the long run. Rather than paying a landscaper or big box gardening center for bags of mulch, you can recycle the dead branches from your property yourself. All it takes is a decent wood chipper/shredder to get the job done.
The good news is you can find the right wood chipper here, including gas and electric options. We scoured the web for the best options to make shopping easier for you. Take a look at the seven best options so you can get your yard cleaned up quickly.
Best Wood Chipper
Add in a powerful recoil starting at 7HP with a horizontal 4-stroke cylinder OHV gas-powered engine with a 0.7-gallon max capacity. It can support up to 3-inch diameter wood. Choose this option if you want a durable device ready to last a long time. Keep in mind that gas motors are more powerful than electric but do come with a smell.
The chipper has a top hopper for chipping and shredding wood up to a half-inch in size. Additionally, aside chute works for three-inch branches and twigs while a back vacuum makes mulch out of leaves. Overall, the chipper weighs 120.7 pounds and measures 29.5 x 25. X 40.6 inches. It includes a nylon waste catch bag, durable wheels, and a handlebar on the top, making this a very comfortable and easy device to use and affordable.
- MULTI-FUNCTION CAPABILITY; This 3-in-1 Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher design has a Reduction Ratio of 15:1 when using the top Hopper for 1/2" MAX volume Chipping/Shredding; Side Chute for 3" MAX branch/limbs, or the attachable leaf vacuum for mulching
- UNIQUE DESIGN; The Slanted Housing design reduces jams, unlike other chippers; Hookup your: ATV, lawn mower/small tractor, for easy transportation with a Tow Bar Kit and use the vacuum inlet for easy leaf mulching with a Vacuum Kit (BOTH SOLD SEPARATELY)
- POWERFUL; This Chippers powerful recoil starting 7HP Horizontal 4-stroke Single Cylinder OHV Gas Powered Engine, handles up to 3" diameter wood without a problem; Fuel w/ 87+ unleaded gasoline (NO ETHANOL recommended), 0.7 gallons Max capacity
- SAFETY; Always operate according to directions outlined in the user manual, always wear the appropriate hand and eye protection (ENGINE OIL NOT INCLUDED); Can be used to aid in fire prevention and building firebreaks; This machine is EPA/CARB Certified
- BEST APPLICATION; Use for Forestry, Gardens, Landscaping or Green Waste Recycling to chip tree branches/limbs, shred brush, mulch leaves and corn stocks; DO NOT use for: fresh greens, pine cones, palm branches (fronds will jam), petrified wood or vines
Like the option above, this chipper has a 3-in-1 chipper with a reduction ratio of 15:1. It also has a top hopper for 1/2 inch max volume for chipping and shredding. The side shoot can support up to 3-inch branches and limbs, while the attachable leaf vacuum works for mulching. A slanted design reduces jams, and it can hook up to other devices for easy transportation with a tow bar kit.
Please note the vacuum kit is sold separately. It’s still a powerful device with a 7HP horizontal 4-stroke single-cylinder OHV gas-powered engine with a capacity of 0.7 gallons. Add in wheels and a nylon bag for storage, along with a resting bar for easy standing. Take control of your lawn with this powerful blue device. Lastly, the chipper weighs 129.7 pounds and measures 29.5 x 25.7 x 40.6 inches.
- This 3-in-1 wood chipper shredder mulcher design has a reduction ratio of 15:1 when using the top hopper for 1 by 2 inch max volume chipping or shredding, side chute for 3 inches max branch or limbs, or the attachable leaf vacuum for mulching
- The slanted housing design reduces jams, unlike other chippers, hook up your ATV, lawn mower or small tractor, for easy transportation with a tow bar kit and use the vacuum inlet for easy leaf mulching
- This Chippers powerful recoil starting 7HP horizontal 4-stroke single cylinder OHV gas powered engine, handles up to 3 inch diameter wood without a problem, fuel with 87 plus unleaded gasoline, 0.7 gallons max capacity
- Always operate according to the directions outlined in the user manual, always wear the appropriate hand and eye protection, it can be used to aid in fire prevention and building firebreaks
- Use for forestry, gardens, landscaping or green waste recycling to chip tree branches or limbs, shred brush, mulch leaves and corn stocks
On top, you can hook up the chipper to a personal transportation device for easy moving around the yard, but you will need to purchase a tow bar kit separately. The engine is built with the operator’s safety in mind. Always follow the guidelines in the user handbook when operating the machine, and always use the proper hand and eye protection (the engine oil is not included.
A 3-year warranty is included with this wood chipper. In addition, the chippers are backed by a dedicated customer service team, so you may cut your trees with confidence, knowing that we are always here to help. Our Wood Chipper Shredder features a powerful recoil starting Rato 7 HP Horizontal 4-stroke Single Cylinder OHV Gas Powered Engine that can easily handle wood up to 3″ in diameter. Fuel with unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 87 or higher, with a maximum capacity of 0.7 gallons.
- EFFICIENT PERFORMANCE - This Mini Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher design has a Reduction Ratio of 15:1, capable of high volume Chipping/Shredding/Mulching via the Large Extended Feeding Chute for up to 3" MAX branches, limbs & garden debris. CR12MoV cutting blades (x2) debris
- UNIQUE DESIGN - Built to be compact and lighter than other steel chippers, this design has a highly desirable Vertical Extended Discharge Chute with Adjustable Discharge Guide to deliver accurate debris discharge, with a angled range of 90°-145° degrees
- POWERFUL - This Chippers powerful recoil starting 7HP Horizontal 4-stroke Single Cylinder OHV Gas Powered Engine, handles up to 3" diameter wood without a problem; Fuel w/ 87+ unleaded gasoline (NO ETHANOL recommended), 0.7 gallons Max capacity. Max speed: 3600RPM，Max torque: 9.14ft-lbs@2500RPM (ENGINE OIL NOT INCLUDED)
- SAFETY - Always operate according to directions outlined in the user manual, always wear the appropriate hand and eye protection; This machine is EPA/CARB Certified
- BEST APPLICATION; Use for Forestry, Gardens, Landscaping or Green Waste Recycling to chip tree branches/limbs, shred brush, mulch leaves, and corn stocks; DO NOT use for: fresh greens, pine cones, palm branches (fronds will jam), petrified wood or vines. Can be used to aid in fire prevention and building firebreaks.
With the Chipper Joe, you get a 16:1 reduction ratio, and it’s designed to shred sticks and branches up to 1.5 inches thick. Thanks to its 15-amp motor and 4,300 revolutions per minute speed, branches and brush are quickly transformed into chips. If you want a lightweight options, this is the one to choose as it’s only 26.2 pounds and measures just 19.69 x 17.32 x 37.8 inches.
The Sun Joe electric chipper and shredder is simple to assemble and virtually maintenance-free, and it’s ready to use as soon as you are. Simply plug it in and begin chipping right away! When the hopper is opened, the device has a safety stop that engages automatically. Last of all, it’s ETL-approved and includes a two-year warranty.
- Ideal for turning branches and twigs into nutrient-rich garden mulch
- Powerful 15 amp motor effectively chips and shreds branches up to 1.5-Inches thick.No Load Speed (rpm):4100 rpm
- Compact design with 6-inch wheels for easy portability; Sound power level: 113 dB
- Safety hopper with locking knob prevents the motor from operating when opened. Hopper Dimensions-2 x 5 inches. Wheel Size-6 inch
- ETL approved; Full 2-year warranty
This best wood chipper is simple to operate and does not pollute the environment with excessive noise. You can use this chipper without fear because it is certified by the emission compatible with EPA and CARB. It’s lighter than the other gas-powered options, too, at just 76 pounds while measuring 30.5 x 29 x 18 inches.
Add a tow bar kit separately for easy moving around the lawn with your ATV, lawnmower, or tractor. Along with wheels and a standing bar, this compact chipper offers multiple positions and can drop debris straight into the garden for easier use and less wasted time thanks to a vertical discharge chute and a debris flow knob. An all-steel construction means this machine will last for years of mulching.
- POWERFUL - This Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher has an all powerful recoil starting AlphaWorks 7HP Horizontal 4-stroke Single Cylinder OHV Gas Powered Engine producing 3600RPMs & a rowdy 10.7 ft lbs of torque, handling up to 3" diameter wood without a problem
- EFFFICIENT PERFORMANCE - This Mini Wood Chipper Shredder Mulcher design has a Reduction Ratio of 15:1, capable of high volume Chipping/Shredding/Mulching via the Large Extended Feeing Hopper Chute for up to 3" inch MAX branches, limbs and garden debris
- UNIQUE DESIGN - Built to be compact and lighter than other steel chippers, this design has a highly desirable Vertical Extended Discharge Chute with Adjustable Discharge Guide to deliver accurate debris discharge, with a angled range of 90°-145° degrees; User-Friendly features like the Easy-Pull Recoil Starter & easy pour Accu-Fill design
- SAFETY - Always operate according to directions outlined in the user manual, always wear the appropriate hand and eye protection (ENGINE OIL NOT INCLUDED); Can be used to aid in fire prevention and building firebreaks; Emission Compliant with CARB PHASE III & EPA Phase III; Fuel w/ 87+ unleaded gasoline (NO ETHANOL recommended)
- BEST APPLICATION - Use for Forestry, Gardens, Landscaping or Green Waste Recycling to chip tree branches/limbs, shred brush, mulch leaves and corn stocks; DO NOT use for: fresh greens, pine cones, palm branches (fronds will jam), petrified wood or vines
This chipper/shredder is efficient, safe, and easy to use. It has all the power to get the job done, and it’s a joy to use. Branches, twigs, and fallen leaves are quickly chopped into little bits. There’s no need to deal with messy gasoline or oil; simply plug it in and go. Chips are collected in a slide-in box for simple transport.
With a bushel collection bin and durable rear wheels. It’s the ultimate cleaning solution for smaller lawns with a planet-conscious design that does not emit harmful odors into the environment. At just 31 pounds, it’s lightweight and easy to move, especially as it only measures 24 x 18 x 42 inches. Choose this option to take care of your lawn and the environment at the same time.
- Powerful mulcher chipper with a 15-amp electric motor to shred branches up to 1.75" thick
- Chute and tamper tool to keep your hands free and safe from the corded electric chipper/shredder
- Electric mulcher that is easy to clean with a huge 1.2 Bushel collection bin
- Portable electric mulcher design with rear wheels
- Earthwise Power Tools by ALM garden mulcher material Type: Aluminum, Metal, Plastic; Power Source Type: Corded Electric
The Earthquake bag has a bottom-out zipper, robust fabric handles for carrying, and a Dock-and-Lock bag connector that allows you to securely connect and detach your bag from the unit. Also, the powerful chipper can shred limbs up to 3 inches in diameter and turn them into mulch for the garden. Airless tires move around the job site with ease, and they never go flat.
The tough steel hopper is built to efficiently feed plant debris into the grinding chamber while also enduring the shocks and bangs that come with working with huge limbs. In addition, the tri- and j-hammers in the grinding chamber will dramatically reduce material. Finally, earthquake is one of the few items on the market that includes a vacuum kit as an option (sold separately).
- DEPENDABLE – Featuring a powerful 212cc 4 Cycle Viper Engine; Always-ready, 11" wheels will never go flat. It is super easy to transport to your desired chipping site.
- EASY-TO-USE – This Chipper Shredder makes quick work of unwanted brush piles and turns them into useful mulch.
- POWERFUL CHIPPING – Strong enough to chip branches 3” in diameter in chipper cone.
- WASTE- REDUCING SHREDDING- Smaller twigs and leaves are placed in the top hopper and shredded in the rotor using a series of Tri-Hammers and J-hammers.
- CONVENIENT SIZE– Measuring at 25. 4" Wide by 29. 9" Long, the Earthquake K32 Chipper Shredder takes up minimal room in your garage or shed.
The Benefits Of Using A Wood Chipper
There are plenty of different benefits for having a chipper shredder in your garden shed, and we’ve got some of the best ones for you below:
- Clean Up Is Quicker – A wood chipper can turn even the largest of trees into tiny little pieces, and it can make clearing up a large wooded area much faster. All you have to do is gather the chunks after you’ve put the wood through the chipper.
- No Burning Needed – Most people burn unwanted wood, an with a chipper shredder, you can avoid this altogether. You can burn the chips, or you could make use of them. They can lower the costs of fertilizers for your plants and even fuel for the car. You can save the environment by avoiding burning.
- Useful Materials – Whether you’re looking to create mulch or compost, your chippings don’t have to be trashed. You can also turn the chippings into pressed wood – people buy wood chippings to press them down and make them into other things, which is always worth looking into.
- Bio Fuel – This is likely the most interesting thing that you can do with wood chippings, as you can use them to run your car or other vehicles. It’s an environmentally friendly way to run your vehicle, so it’s worth considering.
Buying Guide for Best Wood Chippers and Shredders
Gas or Electric
An electric wood chipper will suffice if you only need to pick up tiny branches and yard trimmings. They are less costly, lighter, and easier to operate. Simply put them into any standard household socket to get started.
Gas wood chippers are significantly more powerful than electric chippers and do not require the use of an extension cord or being near a power outlet. These wood chippers are pricier than electric chippers, though.
The capacity refers to the maximum branch size that the chipper can handle. Unfortunately, the majority of chippers on the market can only handle branches that are less than 3-inches in diameter. If you want to utilize your chipper shredder for a lot of business work, especially in your neighborhood, you should invest in a more powerful commercial model.
Chipper shredders are built to have a high reduction ratio. Therefore, it greatly impacts how much the machine cuts/shreds the stuff you throw in. Fortunately, a large number of chipper shredders on the market feature a reduction ratio of 10:1. Simply put, the debris you throw into the machine will be reduced to a tenth of its original size. There’s a common misconception that the bigger your chipper shredder’s reduction ratio, the larger and more powerful it is which is simply not true.
Questions About Best Wood Chippers and Shredders
How do I clean my wood chipper shredder?
You can use a brush to clean out any debris that has become lodged in the chute. You can finish by wiping the chute down with a moist, soft towel. To avoid an accident, double-check that the machine is turned off. You need to keep the shredder clean in order for it to work effectively.
What is the vacuuming ability of a wood chipper?
Getting the debris from your lawn ready for shredding can be difficult for homeowners with large properties. This is why a chipper shredder with suction capabilities is so crucial. Lawnmowers typically resemble chipper shredders with suction capabilities. When you navigate the places where they’re on your lawn, they’re meant to suck up the majority of the debris. Remember that they won’t be able to manage huge tree limbs but can handle smaller items with ease.
Can I use ethanol in a gas chipper?
Ethanol-based fuels might not be the ideal choice for outdoor power equipment. Ethanol-based fuels perform fine in larger engines, such as cars, but they may be particularly detrimental to outdoor power equipment, such as a gas-powered lawnmower because they burn hotter and cause damage in smaller engines.
Final Thoughts About Best Wood Chippers and Shredders
Wood chippers make light of hard work in the yard. First, though, you need to choose between gas or electric. For larger yards, a gas option offers the power and capacity you need to get the job done, while smaller yards can use suffice with an electric option. Find the right option here and enjoy a beautiful yard.
Creating Your Own Mulch With A Chipper
If the idea of using a chipper/shredder to create your own mulch is intimidating, have no fear. Here is a short YouTube video walking you through the process: