Top Benchtop Drum Sanders Reviewed
The fundamentals of woodworking call for sanding—a lot.
It’s an aspect of the process that is repeated after just about every other step, which makes the sanding procedure a vital one when it comes to adapting wood of any kind.
That is why having the tools to better assist you in the practice is the wisest course of action.
Technological growth allows us now to have faster, more efficient means of achieving our goals, and for woodworking, that includes the use of benchtop drum sanders.
These devices sand down wood of various kinds and thicknesses in record time. They have been built smaller and with more features that should further contribute to making the step of sanding fast and painless.
Benchtop Drum Sander Comparison Table
We’ve reviewed some of the best drum sanders that fit on a benchtop available, to help you find the right one. We go over each one in detail below, but for those in a hurry here is a quick feature comparison:
A pressing consideration to have for new equipment is how they fit into your space. It is suggested that you look into tools that are easily portable, which will aid you long-term in times of both use and disuse. The ability to simply pack up your sander and place it in a back corner of your garage, storage unit, or wherever is most convenient for you is an immensely helpful feature of new technology, as well as one that is very much available to you here.
So, here are our top 4 benchtop drum sanders; that are both portable and easy to use.
JET 628900 Pros
- 4in dust port which significantly reduces the potential for distracting and dangerous dust clouds
- Loaded sand paper can be replaced swiftly
- There is a top over the sand paper to hold down the material being sanded for optimal safety. This can also be easily adjusted
- Significantly more compact than the average drum sander, and thus more practical for storage and use (dimensions are 27 x 20 x 20 inches, while the weight of this item is one of the lightest ones available at a mere 96 pounds)
- The sand paper that comes with this tool is 80-grit, a fine sand paper that should contribute to its fast performance, which is attached to the machine itself as a strip roll
- Strip rolls are easy to apply as well as take off
- Said to be helpful when bringing down a material to a uniform thickness, as well as ideal in thinning wood for guitars
- Comes with a stand
- Is of 1 horsepower in efficiency
- Helpful in dealing with a substantial amount of material
- Has been spoken of highly in regard to the quality of its final products
- It comes with a two-to-five-year limited warranty depending upon the purpose for the purchase
JET 628900 Cons
- Is a corded electric tool, meaning its position when using should be close enough to an outlet to plug in
- Circuit breaker has been known to get caught on things
- Can be challenging to get the right results with material too large
- In some reviews, the design has been described as complicated or not perfectly executed
- Has been mentioned to need repairing more than the customer has wished
- 1 hp motor for fast stock removal
- 4-inch dust port for easy collection
- Large hand wheel for easy adjustment
- 20 inches wide capacity for sanding larger surfaces
- Quick paper change for less downtime and more productivity
Jet 723520K JWDS-1632 Pros
- Dust hood
- Surface is protectant against heat damage
- Can be easily maneuvered between a flat and conveyor belt position
- Not battery-operated
- Has the efficiency of 1.5 horsepower, which is 0.5 horsepower more than its predecessor, the JET 628900
- Can sand aluminum (though produces metal dust that may recur on materials thereafter due to the dust hood that contains the excess)
- Can sand up to 16-inch wide materials at once (or 32-inch if you turn it just so)
- It comes with a five-year warranty, making it a more consumer-friendly purchase for any on-the-fence buyer
Jet 723520K JWDS-1632 Cons
- Also functions via electric cord, making its position in the garage or wherever its workplace may be a slightly more demanding one
- When compared to the JET 628900 Mini 10-Inch 1-Horsepower Benchtop Drum Sander above, this sander is heavier at 156 pounds, making it less ideal with regards to storing and transporting. (Its dimensions are also 48 x 40 x 27 inches)
- Sandsmart control continuously monitors the load on the drum motor and automatically regulates the speed of the conveyor motor to maintain the highest feed rate without overload
- Conveyor bed parallelism is easily adjusted by turning the dial on the outside of the bed - no tools required
- Parallelism adjust dial features a stop to quickly return the conveyor bed to a flat position
- Dust hood includes an integrated channel that mirrors the shape of the drum and directs chips and dust to the 4 collection port"
- Precision-machined and dynamically balanced extruded aluminum drum is designed to dissipate heat and protect the work surface from heat-damage
SUPERMAX TOOLS 19-38 Pros
- All of its reviews speak highly about its form
- Most highly-regarded in its sturdy physicality and quality function
- Cited as a tool that was “not too hard to assemble”
- Comes with an open stand
- Does not require batteries
- Its belt is 80-grit, which is known to amplify performance and extend the sanding life of the product
- Offers a laminating option
- This drum sander is the newest model among the others listed, released just over a year ago
SUPERMAX TOOLS 19-38 Cons
- Less affordable than a lot of its competition
- Does not supply casters. The product has been noted to be more difficult to move with provided casters do to its weight, so be sure to invest in casters to make moving it easier for you
- Has less of an online following than a lot of its competition, having been reviewed by significantly fewer people
Powermatic PM2244 Pros
- A tool of the highest performance and should be regarded as such
- Has a control panel to better express to the user the step by step process the machine is undergoing, as well as can sense the material being sanded and thus acts accordingly
- Each material receives a finish at the end of its sanding, and the sander itself prevents any instance of overload
- Upon arrival, the drum sander is almost entirely assembled, and requires very little from the consumer
- Has a steel dust port
- Functions on a whopping 115 volts as it does not require batteries
- Offers a five-year warranty with purchase, a great deal for the buy of any technological tool
- This drum sander was awarded 4.6 out of 5 stars by ten customers who have already purchased it
Powermatic PM2244 Cons
- One of the most expensive drum sanders, particularly in comparison to the others reviewed on our list
- Not practically transportable, as it is listed to be a 418-pound item. It does, however, come with wheels attached to better assist the buyer with its transportation
- 60-grit sand paper comes with the machine as opposed to a finer 80-grit
- Users may find that it works slower than most (but note that this is for safety reasons – to ensure that no user or bystander is ever in harm’s way)
- Integrated LED Control Panel shows power, belt speed, and DRO
- Equipped with Feed Logic to produce exceptional finish while preventing machine overload
- Secondary, absolute depth scale provides an additional height reading
- Drum carriage is cast iron to provide greater strength and consistent performance
- Steel hood with a 4 dust port provide excellent dust collection"
Additional Benchtop Drum Sander Considerations
When on the search for the best drum sander, you deserve to have the woodworking tool that best serves you, and the most ideal way to start that journey is to seek out the research and reviews done by others in your field. Sanding is an operation apart of any wood constructing project, and in prioritizing its role, you are prioritizing the quality of your outcome. If you have any woodworking projects that mean a lot to you, it would be wise to invest in a sander so that your final piece is as beautiful as the sentiment you hold to it.
Just always keep in mind the dimensions, weight, supplied parts, and more when it comes to narrowing down the right sander. Many sanders come with sand paper already, and being mindful of the level of grit to expect is just one of numerous considerations to remember. There are also features such as warranties, dust ports, horsepower, and means of voltage that you would be better of being aware of when making a purchase. Additionally, more recent equipment is more likely to have technologically advanced features to better assist you in the sanding and general woodworking process.
It is always wise to consider every feature before deciding which piece of equipment is most suitable for your wants and needs, as clearly there are many to be aware of, and just as many that may make or break your decision.
Drum sanders can definitely be expensive, like any advanced technological equipment, and that is why you should always understand your options as well as you can ahead of time. This will optimize the quality of your experience, the sander you ultimately choose, and the quality of products you receive through the efficiency of your purchase. There are plenty of skillful sanders out there for you – you just need to find your perfect match!
Benchtop Drum Sander Video
If you have never used a benchtop drum sander before, here is a good YouTube video demonstrating the process: